Graduates of accredited MBA programs have access to some of the most financially and emotionally rewarding careers available today. Colleges and universities throughout the United States have adapted traditional MBA programs making them available to busy executives and full-time students alike. Accelerated or Executive MBA programs allow students to continue working, while gaining insight, knowledge and practical experience; online MBA programs allow students to work in the hours that are convenient for them. Demand today for specialized MBA programs has increased, and the educational community has created special “majors” or areas of concentration that gives students the base knowledge of an MBA with highly specialized curriculum for a number of industries and specialty interests. The most successful and sought-after MBA programs come from universities and colleges that have over a 100 year history of creating tomorrow’s business leaders.
What is an MBA?
An MBA is a postgraduate degree, and is considered to be the most prestigious and universal graduate degrees available today. MBA degrees are an ideal blend of theory, best practices, and management principles. It is important to recognize that all MBA degree programs are not created equally. Accreditation of the college or university is important, as future employers will consider it in their decision process for new jobs or career advancement opportunities. Generally, all accredited MBA programs will have a set of core classes that include finance, accounting, marketing, human resources, and economics. From there, some programs offer students the ability to specialize.
Specialty MBA programs include Finance, Management, Healthcare, Technology, Leadership, Entrepreneurship, International, Marketing, Operations & Supply Chain, Project Management, Non-profit Management, Real Estate, Sustainability, and more. Overseas sessions are the highlight of some MBA programs that allow students to learn about the demands and dynamics of international business. Whatever your desires for specialization and scheduling, there is an MBA program to meet your needs.
Advancing your MBA Education
As the job market has tightened in recent years, many corporations have focused their hiring efforts on applicants that have MBA degrees from accredited, well-respected colleges and universities. Popular positions for MBA graduates include Non-profit Leadership, Financial Adviser, Marketing Executive, Management Analyst, Business Consultant, general Business Management Executive, and Human Resources, just to note a few. The fact is, an MBA degree speaks volumes about your credibility; not just knowledge, but your ability to focus on school while maintaining a job and a personal life. MBA degree programs are a commitment, both financially and physically. They are demanding, however, they are well worth your investment of time, energy, and resources. When you choose to further your career or change your career path altogether, an MBA helps pave the way for greater job security, financial freedom, and potential for career growth.
The MBA degree is highly regarded by employers today. The demand for flexible MBA programs has risen, and colleges and universities across the country have adapted to the growing need. Many accredited universities have specially crafted online MBA programs to fit their needs. When online education programs started over a decade ago, there were wrinkles that needed to be addressed; primarily how to engage students with one another and encourage interaction between Faculty and students. Today, online MBA programs foster collaboration between students and faculty through specially designed activities and assignments.
Specialty MBA degree programs focus on precisely what students and potential employers’ desire. Degree programs that let students focus on their chosen niche, give practical knowledge and specialty training in the demanding fields on Healthcare, Technology, Government, Non-Profits, Entrepreneurship, and Financial industries. Programs are also available to allow students to focus on a career path vs. a specific industry. These programs can include Operations & Supply Chain, Human Resources, Consulting, Marketing and more specialized knowledge that is applicable to a variety of industries. Below is a sampling of MBA degree programs available.
- Finance MBA Degree: This degree is ideal for individuals desiring an MBA degree that crosses industries by focusing curriculum on economics, financial modeling, business strategy, investment management, financial analysis, portfolio management, mergers & acquisitions and more.
- Management MBA Degree: Management MBA graduates enjoy the benefit of learning about the best practices of a variety of disciplines with overviews of strategic management, business culture, corporate communications, marketing, supply chain management, statistical analysis, financial analysis and information technology.
- Healthcare MBA Degree: As this industry continues to explode in growth, individuals with an MBA are desperately needed that have the specialized knowledge of healthcare economics, health policy, healthcare marketing, statistical analysis, public health infrastructure and general management of healthcare organizations including hospitals.
- Technology MBA Degree: Technology MBA degrees teach students how to foster the development of innovative technologies. Curriculum can include new product development, economics of growth and innovation, competitive strategy and leadership in an innovative culture.
- Leadership MBA Degree: This degree program helps prepare students by partnering analytical thinking, problem solving, and business theory, with critical thinking, teamwork, and communication skills. Leadership is a blend of art, knowledge and skills; this program helps to bring a student’s natural talent and passion together with theory.
- Entrepreneurship MBA Degree: For budding entrepreneurs, or existing entrepreneurs who seek to build their skills, an Entrepreneurship MBA degree program teaches basic management skills of business best practices and theories, coupled with entrepreneur focused curriculum including finance classes, innovation, business creation, and other entrepreneurial business needs.
- International MBA Degree: Specifically designed for individuals with an interest in international business, the International MBA program give students the best business practices in theory, with an eye on the global economy and international operations.
- Marketing MBA Degree: A Marketing MBA degree provides students with the core business management knowledge required to succeed in addition to specialized courses in consumer behavior, marketing and communications strategy, market research, and other marketing related topics.
- Operations and Supply Chain MBA Degree: An Operations and Supply Chain MBA degree helps students prepare for a challenging career in international supply chain management, applied statistics, inventory control, and operations.
- Non-profit Management MBA Degree: This degree program offers students the opportunity to advance their business skills while learning about the unique challenges of the Non-profit industry; specialized focused curriculum includes Non-profit finance, ethics, fundraising, human resource development, volunteer motivation, and Non-profit law.
- Real Estate Management MBA Degree : A Real Estate Management program gives students practical knowledge for the industry including finance, project management, real estate principles, legal aspects of real estate, economic analysis, and more to encourage success in this challenging and rewarding industry.
- Sustainability MBA Degree: Known as the “green” MBA, the Sustainability MBA degree program offers students a unique perspective on business initiatives and how they affect the planet; topics include overpopulation, global warming, and shortage of natural resources, law aspects, and financial analysis.
- Executive MBA Degree: For established management professionals seeking to advance their careers, an Executive MBA gives them the opportunity to earn their degree while maintaining their current jobs. Curriculum can include leadership, accounting, organizational management, financial analysis and marketing strategy.
MBA Colleges & Universities
The number of universities and colleges that offer MBA programs both online and in traditional learning environments grows every day. It is important when investing in your future to consider several things prior to committing to one program. The reputation of the school is of utmost importance, as is their accreditation. Sadly some institutions that are not accredited are taking advantage of students with their online MBA programs. The most successful and dynamic MBA programs are found at colleges and universities that have a long history of providing the finest education to their students.
- Marylhurst University: For more than a century, Marylhurst University has called Portland, Oregon home; their MBA programs are focused on providing students classical business skills with concentrations available in Organizational Behavior, Finance & Strategic Planning, Marketing, Non-Profit Management, Healthcare Management, Real Estate, and Sustainability.
- Pepperdine University: Located in beautiful Malibu, California, Pepperdine University’s Graziadio School of Business and Management offers executives, full-time students and working professions outstanding MBA programs focused on creating value-centered leaders and stress the need for responsible business practice.
- Norwich University: For nearly 200 years, Norwich University has provided outstanding education to their students. The MBA programs are designed for busy working professionals and be completed in as few as 18 months.
- Northeastern University: For over 100 years, Northeastern University set in the heart of Boston, Massachusetts, has been a leader in both undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The Executive MBA program is a part-time 16 month program specially designed for seasoned business professionals with a goal of readying them for the next level of leadership.
- Washington State University: Since 1890, Washington State University has proudly served students from across the globe in reaching their career and educational goals. They offer flexible MBA programs in Tri-Cities, Vancouver and both a traditional MBA and an Executive MBA for online students.
- Ohio University: The Graduate College at Ohio University offers a rigorous curriculum in their AACSB Accredited MBA programs includes a blended delivery of curriculum that uses virtual classrooms, online learning modules partnered with once-a-month Saturday residencies.
- The George Washington University: Set in the heart of the action in Washington DC, George Washington University has always been at the pulse of the action. George Washington University provides a variety of MBA programs including the MBA Accelerated, Global MBA, Online MBA in Healthcare Management, Professional MBA and a World Executive MBA program.
- Howard University: Howard University’s School of Business is focused on educating tomorrow’s global leaders with available concentrations in Entrepreneurship, Finance, General Management, Human Resources, Information Systems, International Business, Marketing, and Supply Chain Management.
- Rochester Institute of Technology: Founded nearly 200 years ago, this privately endowed college focuses on the success of their students. Traditional and online MBA programs available.
MBA Careers & Salary
MBA graduates have access to some of the best paying jobs in the world. When partnered with a well-rounded degree from an accredited institution, they are prepared to be next leaders of industries. Positions for MBA graduates include Chief Executive Officers, Executive Management and Consultancy positions in industries including healthcare, technology, real estate, finance, accounting, international business, and all other industries. Base salaries stated here are provided by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics. Chief Executives with an MBA and relevant work history have an annual mean wage of $200,690, where Human Resources executives have an annual mean wage of $125,480. On this site, you will find additional resources on careers and salaries for MBA graduates.
- Executive MBA Careers & Salary Guide: Learn about the variety of careers and earning potential for MBA graduates.
- Professions that Require an MBA: Explore careers that require an MBA.
- Nonprofit Salaries: Learn about earning potential in the nonprofit industry.
- Nonprofit Careers: Explore career options for Nonprofit MBA graduates.
- Career Options for Finance MBA Graduates: Discover careers for Finance MBA graduates.
- Why an Online MBA in Finance is Critical to Achieving a High Salary: Discover why Finance MBA graduates earn more than non-graduates.
- Learning to Use Technology: Learn the importance of technology in your business career.
- How an Online MBA in Marketing Can Help Your Career: Discover why earning an MBA in marketing can make a difference in your career.
- MBA Marketing Salaries: Learn about the earning potential for Marketing MBA graduates.
- Top MBA Salaries and the Degrees Needed to Get Them: Explore earning potential and career options for MBA graduates.
Individuals seeking career advancement, job security, and relevant knowledge are served by finding the right MBA program for their goals and current situation. It is important to stay in-the-know with access to all relevant news associated with business careers and MBA degrees.