Healthcare is a challenging and rewarding industry that has exciting career positions available for people with backgrounds in business, accounting, management, communications, and technology. This specialized industry needs professionals with specialized knowledge and skill to keep pace with the demand. Many well-regarded Colleges and Universities have created educational programs specifically to meet the growing needs of the Healthcare industry. Degree programs are available for a wide range of individuals with individual career and educational goals. These include undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs in Healthcare Management, Healthcare IT, Research, a variety of Medical Practitioners, and those with specializations in Gerontology, Therapy, and more. The U.S. Department of Labor indicates that nearly all of the career positions within the Healthcare Industry are expected to grow substantially over the next decade.
What is Healthcare?
The Healthcare industry is growing faster than the U.S. population is aging. This interactive and rewarding career field covers the gamut in exciting and rewarding professions. From executive and managerial positions, to technology specialists, and specialized health diagnostic equipment technicians, this industry continues to astound experts with its growth. Hospitals, Physician offices, nursing facilities, and diagnostic centers all need Healthcare IT & Informatics professionals. Healthcare Administrators and management professionals skilled in leadership, management and communications are desperately needed across the board. Sonography, Radiology, Physical Therapists, Pharmacists, and Clinical Laboratory Science specialists are all highly trained experts in their field. The need for these and others with heightened skills and knowledge of Public Health, Gerontology and Aging, are desperately needed as our population continues to age.
Advancing your Healthcare Education
In today’s rapidly changing Healthcare environment, the need for highly-qualified and educated professionals has never been greater. To secure your spot in this energetic industry, an advanced degree is required. While the U.S. Department of Labor does not classify median salaries based on the degrees required for the positions, it is clear that those professionals with Master’s degrees or specialty post-graduate Certificates are the leader in the wage race.
Colleges and Universities have met the demand for this rapidly changing field by creating undergraduate and graduate degree programs that allow busy working professionals to further their educational goals through online distance degree programs. It is important to note that not all online degree programs are created equal; individuals seeking to advance their education must weigh a number of factors including accreditation, faculty, programs offered, and the University or College’s reputation and national ranking.
- Healthcare IT & Informatics Degree: These innovative degree programs offer students the opportunity to couple healthcare technology and real-world clinical and industry experience. This degree allows individuals with healthcare work experience to delve into the dynamics of electronic health records, advanced clinical systems and specialized IT systems.
- Sonography Degree: A Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Medial Sonography teaches students the necessary skills and knowledge to be successful. These degrees focus on creating students with expert knowledge and understanding of the technological innovations in Medical Sonography.
- Radiology Degree: Medical imaging is much more involved than most patients believe. There is both an art and a science to radiology as it is vital to be able to effectively communicate with patients. These degree programs often times offer students the basics of a healthcare administration degree while focusing on radiography theory and practice.
- Clinical Laboratory Science Degree: A Master of Science in Laboratory Science is an integrated degree focusing on the complex balance of theoretical and technical instruction in the areas of hematology, microbiology, transfusion service, immunology, molecular diagnostics or chemistry.
- Healthcare Administration & Management Degree: This advanced degree program prepares students for the exciting and rewarding positions of Hospital Administrator, or Medical Office Manager. There are two different configurations of this degree available. An MBA with a concentration in Healthcare are best for individuals interested in the finance, accounting, and marketing of healthcare organizations, while a Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) is a balance between general business principles with a focus on the healthcare industry.
- Public Health Degree: For individuals with a focus on improving the health of local, national, and international populations, a Master of Science in Public Health degree is ideal. Most Colleges & Universities offer specialized concentrations including Environmental Health, International Health, Maternal & Child Health.
- Gerontology & Aging Services Degree: A Master of Gerontology & Aging degree helps prepare students for the rapidly aging population and their special requirements. This interdisciplinary curriculum focuses on the themes, theories and principles of aging and various life stages. Policies, laws, values and ethics associated with gerontology are also covered.
- Pharmacy Degree: A Doctor of Pharmacy degree can require six years of academic coursework that includes organic chemistry, physics, calculus, communications, biology, human anatomy, microbiology, and more. Special focus is given on pharmaceutical chemistry and the intricacies of the practice that includes laws and regulation, the healthcare system, and more.
- Physical Therapy Degree: A Doctor of Physical Therapy degree prepares students for the national Physical Therapy licensing examination. Coursework includes the necessary anatomy and physiology required but also focuses on interpersonal communication skills required for successful practice as a Doctor of Physical Therapy.
Healthcare Schools & Colleges
- University of Illinois at Chicago: For over 100 years, the University of Illinois At Chicago is a major research University dedicated to providing world-class education for its students. A variety of undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate certificate programs are available through UIC to fit with any specialty you desire.
- University of Cincinnati: For nearly 200 years, the University of Cincinnati has been a leader of educational institutions by focusing on creating innovative degree programs. They offer a wide variety of undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degree programs in nearly all specialties in the healthcare industry. Both online and on campus degree programs are available in Nursing, Biomedical Engineering, Clinical Research, Environmental Health, Health Administration, Pharmaceutical Sciences, and much more.
- Florida Hospital College: Florida Hospital College offers a variety of degree programs including Associate Degrees, Bachelor Degrees and Professional Certificate Programs. Nursing, Radiological Sciences, and Diagnostic Medical Sonography all are offered for busy working professionals through specially crafted online degree programs.
- Boston University: Boston University School of Public Health is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health and offers a variety of undergraduate, graduate & doctoral programs. The Master of Public Health (MPH) is available with eight concentrations for students to choose from: Biostatistics, Environmental Health, Epidemiology, Health Law Bioethics & Human Rights, Health & Policy Management, International health, Maternal & Child Health, and Social & Behavioral Sciences.
- Ohio University: For over 200 years, Ohio University has provided the best student-centered transformative learning experience in America for its students. They have been committed to fostering extraordinary educational programs through innovation, leadership and implementation. They offer a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs both online and on-campus.
- University of Southern California: For nearly 150 years, the University of Southern California has provided outstanding education to its students through their innovative and creative degree programs. Through the Sol Price School of Public Policy, they offer a variety of undergraduate, Master’s and Ph.D and Executive Education programs for healthcare professionals.
- Champlain College: Champlain College was established over 130 years ago and was one of the first U.S. College’s to offer online degree programs. They offer a number of online and on-campus programs ideal for individuals seeking to further their Healthcare education. These include both undergraduate and graduate programs in Health Informatics and Healthcare Management.
- New England College: The New England College is a small, private, non-profit educational institution focused on providing innovative degree programs with personal support and attention to their students. Through their School of Graduate and Professional Studies department, they offer a variety of online degree programs for Healthcare professionals.
- Marylhurst University: For over 100 years, Marylhurst University in Portland Oregon has focused on creating dynamic and relevant degree programs for their students. Degree programs are offered both online and on-campus. Professional certificate programs, undergraduate programs, and graduate programs are available in a wide variety of disciplines. Graduate programs include a Blended MBA with a concentration in Healthcare Management program that blends academic theory with real-world application.
- The George Washington University: George Washington University was founded by an Act of Congress to bring extraordinary education to the Nation’s capital. Founded in 1821, it is centered in the hub of American politics in the heart of the healthcare industry. The University offers a variety of undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degree programs relevant and timely for professionals in the Healthcare industry.
- Northeastern University: Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is world-renowned for its experiential and global research. Degree programs for Healthcare industry professionals are varied and are hosted through the Bouve College of Health Sciences. This includes the School of Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Speech Audiology, and several others. Undergraduate and Master degree programs are available.
- University of Florida: The University of Florida is an internationally recognized leader for their academic excellence in both their on-campus degree programs and their innovative and relevant online degree programs. Through the College of Pharmacy, there are 16 online Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Science programs with a variety of concentrations including Medication Therapy Management, Drug Regulatory Affairs, Patient Safety and Risk Management, and many others.
Healthcare Careers & Salary
The Healthcare industry is vast and encompasses everything from Nurses and specialized Audiologists, to Physicians, Pharmacists, Medical Researchers, and Healthcare Administrators. Careers and salaries are as varied as the positions available. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, currently Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technologists have a median national salary of $56,130 and are forecasted to have average growth over the next decade. Medical & Health Services Managers currently have a median salary of $84,270 and this segment is expected to grow 22% between 2010 and 2020. Pharmacists are always in demand and currently experiencing a median annual wage of $111,570. One of the highest projected increases for job growth of all career positions, regardless of industry, is Physical Therapists; the demand is expected to rise 39% between now and 2020. Currently, Physical Therapists have a median wage of $76,310.
Healthcare is a rapidly changing industry and each and every day there is relevant and breaking industry news. This website has research, articles, and white papers available that are both relevant and timely for Healthcare industry professionals.