If there could be such a thing as a recession proof profession, it would have to be the field of engineering. Forbes magazine recently reported that the top four highest ranked majors for individuals with less than five years’ experience are all within the engineering field. Although some may think of engineers as those involved in transportation, that is only one area where engineers are responsible for keeping society moving forward. Engineers combine knowledge of mathematics and science to research, design, plan, and implement technology and systems to advance solutions that keep society running smoothly.
Graduates with engineering degrees face less chance of unemployment following graduation than do graduates from other professional programs. According to the US Department of Labor, the demand for engineers will continue to offer better than average job opportunities at least through 2014. With the continued progress of technology in virtually every aspect of society, the need for engineers will continue to rise in many industries. Individuals with engineering degrees may work in factories producing, and testing components to evaluate the impact on the environment, or the ability to function as intended under environmental stressors. There are few areas not influenced by those with an electrical engineering degree or mechanical engineering degree. If you are still undecided about the job potential should you pursue an engineering degree online or explore one of the many programs offering engineering degrees in a traditional setting, consider these top engineering occupations.
- Computer Engineers – Computer engineering leads the list as the highest paid field for college graduates. Nearly all areas of society, technology, and industry today use computers to some extent. Even the CIA employs computer engineers.
- Civil Engineers – Civil engineers are involved in planning, designing, supervising and managing the construction of bridges, roads, sewer systems, airports, subways, buildings, parks, and other projects and programs necessary to link communities and governments.
- Environmental Engineers- Environmental engineers are responsible for finding sustainable solutions to recycling, water and sewage maintenance and control, air pollution and environmental safety.
- Agricultural Engineers- Agricultural engineers blend technical engineering with technology, biology, and science to design improved agricultural structures, equipment, and systems.
- Chemical engineers – Chemical engineering involves designing, manufacturing, and processing chemicals used in a large variety of venues. Chemical engineers are involved in the manufacturing of foods, chemicals, clothing, energy, and more.
- Biomedical Engineers – Biomedical engineers are on the cutting edge of technology involved in combining engineering with medicine and biology to solve health and medical problems. They are responsible for much of the technology behind new techniques, procedures, and products use in the health field.
- Electronics Engineers – Electronics engineers differ from electrical engineers by specializing in communications and broadcasts systems. While electrical engineering concentrates on equipment and systems that generate electrical power.
- Electrical Engineers – Electrical engineers often work closely with those involved in electronics and computer engineering, however, electrical engineers are involved in all phases of designing, and testing power generating electrical systems.
- Health and Safety Engineers – Health and Safety engineers are responsible for designing and developing procedures to reduce on the job health risks. They are also involved in reducing risks from product use and lowering the risk of on the job injuries.
- Mechanical Engineers- A mechanical engineering degree offers entrance into a wide variety of occupational specialties. Mechanical engineers are involved in the design, research, manufacturing, and testing of a wide variety of devices. From prosthetics devices to industrial generations, turbines and more there are engineers involved in a wide spectrum of mechanical challenges.
- Industrial Engineers - Industrial engineers are involved in determining the most effective use of resources such as people, information, energy, machines, systems, or materials to provide much needed service or products throughout today’s society.
As you consider pursuing an engineering degree online or on campus be sure to explore all your options. An online electrical engineering degree or a mechanical engineering degree offers a wide range of versatility. Deciding on whether an electrical engineering degree or a degree in mechanical engineering is the best option depends on your career interests. Knowing which area of engineering you wish to specialize in or at least what industry you have targeted for a future career will make the decision of what type of engineering degree is best, easier. An online electrical engineering degree is an excellent choice if you wish to continue working while studying the latest research, technology, and procedures related to your area of engineering. Doing so you can immediately use the new information you discover, and begin implementing the new concepts into your work environment. Regardless of the changes in society or the economy, there will always be a demand for those with engineering degrees.