Over the last 25 years, the economy has become more and more global in nature. We’ve witnessed this recently with the global downturn affecting everyone from North and South America, to Europe and Asia. Accounting and Finance professionals that are skilled in best business practices, accounting functions, and financial forecasting are desperately needed in government, non-profits and private industry. It is more important than ever that professionals in this industry have an advanced degree to help cement their career security and pave the wave for greater future earning potential. Accounting and Finance careers are expected to grow between 15% and 25% over the next decade. Many accredited and world-renowned Colleges and Universities have created specialized degree programs to help busy working Accounting and Finance professionals get the advanced degrees they need to thrive in this competitive environment.
What is Accounting & Finance?
Accounting and Finance, while they both have to do with numbers, are two vastly different professions. Accounting is based on rules, standards, laws, and regulations while Finance is more focused on the analysis of profitability, assets, banking, investments and credit. Accounting majors and those specialized in this challenging field are help to the GAAP – the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Accounting professionals typically like orderly functions, while Finance professionals prefer the challenge of forecasting and predicting. Finance professionals have career positions as Investment Bankers, Financial Managers, Risk Analysts, and the like. While Accounting professionals enjoy the positions of Chief Financial Officer, Certified Public Accountant, Auditor, and more.
Advancing your Accounting & Finance Education
In today’s competitive job market, an advanced degree in Accounting or Finance can help cement your future with major corporations, in government, non-profits or small business. Master degree programs have been specially created for busy working professionals seeking to increase their knowledge and skills along with their educational background. Online degree programs including Blended MBA programs with a concentration in Accounting or Finance are available. Job security, job advancement, and financial security can all be strengthened through the earning of a Master’s degree in Finance or Accounting.
Accounting & Finance Degrees
There are a variety of graduate degree programs available including online distance education programs that offer the heist levels of flexibility when earning a degree. Many fine and accredited Colleges and Universities have Accounting and Finance programs available in undergraduate, graduate and professional certificate programs.
- Accounting Degree: A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting prepares students for the CPA exam by thoroughly teaching financial accounting, management accounting, auditing and taxation. Other coursework includes management theory, business law, economics and business math.
- Taxation Degree: A Master of Science in Taxation prepares students to focus on the tax implications and laws for individuals, corporations and non-profits. The advanced tax planning and tax practice skills are garnered through research, business evaluation, and current tax codes.
- Financial Services Degree: Both Bachelor and Master Degree programs are available for Financial Services. Coursework typically includes business theory, business law, international finance, financial accounting, forecasting, economics, and financial theory.
Accounting & Finance Schools & Colleges
Accounting and Finance individuals seeking to expand their knowledge and skills while gaining an advanced degree must take into account the accreditation, faculty, and school history. Not all degree programs are created equal; a degree from a non-accredited school can, and often is, worthless. It is important to consider not only the programs offered, but also the school’s reputation and national rankings.
- University of Alabama at Birmingham: University of Alabama at Birmingham’s School of Business offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs including the Bachelor of Science in Accounting and the Bachelor of Science in Finance. Both of these degree programs offer a broad exposure to arts and sciences and comprehensive best business practices. Accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, the online Bachelor of Accounting and Master of Science in Accounting programs blend technological skills, applied research skills and interpersonal skills for graduate success.
- Northeastern University: Founded 1898, Northeastern University is a global experiential research university offering unprecedented learning opportunities around the world. Through the College of Business Administration, there are both undergraduate and graduate degree programs available in Accounting & Finance. The Bachelor of Science in Business Administration program is available with the option of seven different concentrations including accounting. The Master of Science in Accounting MBA program is a full-time 15 month program with a 3 month paid residency at a leading accounting firm.
- Marylhurst University: Located just outside Portland, Oregon, Marylhurst University has been providing its students with outstanding educational opportunities for over 100 years. This private institution is dedicated to providing innovative educational programs including a Blended MBA program with a concentration in Finance.
- Ohio University: For over 200 years they have provided the best student-centered transformative learning experience in America. Ohio University is committed to fostering extraordinary educational programs through innovation, leadership and implementation. They offer a wide variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs both online and on-campus degree programs. Through their School of Accountancy, students learn the dynamics and skills required for positions in auditing, controllership, and financial management. Their Department of Finance focuses on teaching students the finer skills of financial planning, banking, corporate finance and investments.
- Norwich University: For nearly 200 years, Norwich University has served America with distinction through its extraordinary commitment to both civilian and military studies. The focus today, while maintaining its proud heritage, is on experiential learning and connecting classroom knowledge and theory to real-world applications. Accounting and Finance degree programs are offered through their Business Management programs. These interdisciplinary programs provide an in-depth understanding of internal functions for businesses through analytical and technical skills.
- New England College: New England College emphasizes experiential learning as a key function of student life. This creative and supportive learning community offers a variety of online and on-campus degree programs with concentrations in Accounting and Finance. The Bachelor of Arts in Accounting provides students with a firm foundation leading to careers in government, non-profits, and private industry.
- Boston University: Boston University has a proud legacy of providing outstanding educational opportunities for their students. Through the School of Management, dual degree programs are available in a variety of subject matters offering the ultimate in flexibility for students. Concentrations include Finance, International Management, Accounting, Entrepreneurship, and many more.
- Stetson University: Since 1883 Stetson University has been engaging students with challenging academics and instilling values for life. Through the M.E. Rinker Sr. Institute of Tax & Accountancy Degree Program, students stay focused on the skills, knowledge, theories and best practices in small rigorous classes. The faculty of Stetson University is focused on student success.
Accounting & Finance Careers & Salary
According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2010 the Median salary for Accountants and Auditors was $61,690. This figure is based on a Bachelor’s degree and no work experience. This position’s job outlooks is projected to stay on pace with other jobs and grow 16% between 2010 and 2020. Unfortunately, the BLS does not list any Accounting or Finance positions with a Master’s degree, so the salary figures here are artificially low. For the position of Financial Analyst, the BLS states a median annual wage of $74,350 with an expected growth of 23%.
- Accounting Careers: Learn about various opportunities and careers in the accounting and finance industries.
- Accounting Salaries: Discover the earning potential for an array of accounting and finance careers.
- What Careers Can You Have with a Masters Degree in Accounting: Find out about the options you’ll have with a degree in accounting and finance.
Accounting & Finance Resources
Today’s economy rises and falls every day. The global impact of financial markets has an immediate effect here in the United States. Because of this, it is essential that Accounting and Finance professionals stay up to date on the latest industry and financial news. This website has research, informative articles and much much more to ensure you are always in the know.
- Is a Masters Degree in Forensic Accounting Worth the Investment: Determine if forensic accounting is a viable option to help reach your goals.
- Should I Get a Masters Degree in Accounting or Finance: Which degree is best for you? Learn about career opportunities and job outlook.
- Tax Accounting: Learn about opportunities in the field of tax accounting.
- Internal Auditing: Is internal auditing the right career choice for you?
- Financial Accounting: Discover academic programs and career opportunities in the field of financial accounting.
- Cost Accounting: Learn more about cost accounting and the potential for this growing field.