Overview of Technology
Many sectors of the Technology industry are forecasted to experience higher than average growth by the Bureau of Labor Statistics over the next decade. To be a part of this dynamic industry, professionals must keep their skills and knowledge up-to-date and focus their energies on learning all the intricacies of new technologies as they come to market. Furthering your education with an advanced degree in one of the exciting and rewarding Technology industry sectors helps to increase annual wages and salaries, foster career growth, and provide for better job security. Many well-regarded, accredited and globally minded Colleges and Universities have created specialized online educational degree programs to allow busy professionals to continue working while expanding their educational background. There are a variety of specialized degrees, both undergraduate and graduate, available to fit whatever niche you desire. From Geography & Technology, to Business Continuity, and Education Technology, there are more new opportunities every day for professionals with honed skills and advanced knowledge.
What is Technology?
Today, Technology is part of everything we do – from our phones and their software, to our Global Positioning Systems, our computer systems at work, and at home, and even out MP3 players. The rapid growth of this industry is representative in everything we do. We are dependent upon it, and because of that, the need for high-qualified and well-educated professional has never been greater. Computer information Systems professional provide a strong and varied balance of skills that include computer infrastructure, information system management, and countless other essential pieces. A Chief Information Officer, a Chief Technology Officer a Director of E-Commerce, Internet Technology Strategist, Director of IT Operations Computer and an Information systems Managers work to ensure that computer systems in businesses run smoothly while planning, coordinating and directing all computer related activities within an organization. These essential people help determine the IT goals of an organization and are responsible for the implementation and planning for IT systems throughout the organization.
Information Management professionals work to ensure the safety and security of all information and data for an organization. A professional with specialized focus in Geographic Information & Technology is skilled in the advanced research and development of applications of geographic information the systems to support it. Geospatial technologies, satellite-based mapping systems, remote sensing, land survey are all part of the equation for this challenging field. To keep current and ensure that individuals and organizations understand the new intricacies of technology, Education Technology professionals facilitating the learning and the improvement of performance with the appropriate technological processes and resources. These can include software, hardware and Internet applications. Professionals skilled and trained in the dynamic area of Information Assurance & Business Continuity are the first line of defense in business continuity operations, computer incident response and disaster recovery planning.
Advancing your Technology Education
Investing the time and financial resources required to further your educational goals takes commitment and assurance that the University or College you have chosen is the right fit for you. In today’s competitive business world, Graduate degrees help foster job security, promote career advancement, and can add tens of thousands of dollars to your annual income. A Graduate degree program or a Professional Certificate program goes a long way in securing your financial future. While many positions in the Technology industry do not require advanced degrees, there are many executive positions and industry segments that do. Securing your position within your current company, or to give you added credibility when applying for a new position, requires a Master’s degree from an accredited University.
As many types of technology that there is available today, there are countless specialized career fields available. Technology continues to be a part of all that we do, at home, and in our jobs. Because of this, the demand for Technology professionals has never been at higher demand. Whatever your specialized interest, there is nearly sure to be a degree program that will help you advance your career.
- Computer Information Systems Degree: A Bachelor of Computer Information Systems degree is an undergraduate program that focuses on the practical applications of technology. Coursework can include communications, networking, software design, business, and mathematics. Some Colleges and Universities offer a variety of concentrations or specializations.
- Information Management Degree: A Master of Information Management degree is for students who seek to join the rapidly changing technological world. Coursework includes information management, information architecture, design, computer sciences, project management, business administration, and ethics.
- Geography Information & Technology Degree: A Master of Science in Geographic Information Science and Technology degree provides students with state-of-the-art skills, knowledge and introduction to geospatial technologies.
- Education Technology Degree: Educational Technology Leadership programs are available online. These innovative degree programs are designed to prepare individuals for leadership roles in improving teaching and learning through the application of educational technologies.
- Information Assurance & Business Continuity Degree: A Graduate degree in Information Assurance & Business Continuity provides students with the skills and knowledge necessary to defend information systems from savvy adversaries. Students become proficient in protection, detection and reaction in these specialized degree programs.
Technology Schools & Colleges
Choosing a College or University for your degree; whether a Bachelor, Master, Professional Certificate is a commitment of time and financial resources. It is imperative that you choose a reputable and accredited College or University program that meets your needs. Fully vet the programs and schools you are interested in, check accreditation, school history, faculty credentials, and national rankings before you finalize your decision.
- Boston University: The Department of Computer Science of Boston University offers cutting-edge research, theoretical, and applied areas of Technology. Both graduate and undergraduate degree programs are available to provide students with a competitive knowledge base and expertise.
- University of Southern California: Founded in 1879, the University of Southern California has been the leader in Undergraduate, Graduate, and Doctoral degree programs since its inception. The focus here is to develop, cultivate and enrich the human mind and spirit of students through teaching artistic creation and research. USC as a variety of programs available for professionals seeking to hone their skills and learn new ones for their exciting careers in the Technology field.
- The George Washington University: Accredited by Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, the Graduate School of Education and Human Development is proud to provide a superior and dynamic educational experience through the Educational Technology Leadership program. Both Master and Graduate certificates are available. The Masters Degree program in Educational Technology Leadership is an innovative program designed to prepare individuals for leadership roles in improving teaching and learning through the application of educational technologies used in K-12 schools, higher education institutions, corporations, organizations, associations, governments and foundations.
- Norwich University: Since 1819 Norwich University has fostered a distinguished history of excellence in education, ethics, and student preparation. Accredited by the New England Association of Schools & Colleges Inc, through the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education, this University offers a variety of Bachelor’s and Master’s program both on campus, and through state-of-the-art online programs.
Technology Careers & Salary
The U.S. Department of Labor through its Bureau of Labor Statistics does not break down job growth and median annual salaries based on the educational degrees. Because of that, the salary and wage figures they list for the Technology sector are primarily based on Bachelor degrees, and not Master’s degrees. The BLS states that Computer & Information Systems Managers have a median wage of $115,780 and this position is projected to experience a 18% growth between 2010 and 2020. Software developers currently have a median wage of $90,530 and are projected to experience a 30% job growth between 2010 and 2020, which is classified as “much faster than average”.
Technology is an ever-changing dynamic profession. Because of that, it is vital that all people in the industry stay up to date with the latest information and industry news. This website has research, articles and more for all Technology Industry professionals